Monday, December 15, 2014

Oversized t-shirt + tunic = color block dress.

So, it didn't take me all that long to get in holiday mode and start crafting/sewing again. Really, inspiration struck me and so I sort of neglected to do the cleaning I was supposed to do yesterday... Oh well, there's still time :P

So I had this tunic that I thrifted a long time ago, but never used as-is:

So then I chopped it in half.


I then took the top part and laid it flat on a t-shirt I'd also thrifted because I needed an orange strip for my Pride top earlier this year. I cut a rough sleeveless top out of the orange t-shirt:

(...Maybe I should have ironed the orange shirt?)


Then I ripped the sleeves off of the tunic...



...sewed the side seams of the orange top, and inserted the sleeves:



Then, once the top was done I attached it to the bottom half of the tunic:



Ta-dah:



The waist part was a bit loose-fitting, so I also added an elastic band, and since I couldn't match the waist seam exactly it was visible from the outside. Since I am lazy and didn't want to fix that, I simply added a belt:



The dress is still a bit short for me (you know, giant), I'm still thinking about adding a strip of fabric on the hem to make it longer, but I didn't have anything at hand that A) would match the gray and orange fabrics and B) would be suitable material to sew on the hem. So I'm thinking about a trip to the Goodwill store to see if they have any nice fabric lying around.

Now I'm thinking about making a dress for Christmas. We'll see how that goes. :D

love,
scoundrel


PS. If you have snow, send it my way, please. This no-snow December thing is so depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment